Flowers, candy, wine, cards, and perhaps even jewelry are staples for every Valentine’s Day celebration. But a romantic dinner coupled with a decadent dessert is the cornerstone for a Valentine’s Day to remember.
If the crowds and over-priced meals associated with a night on the town are not quite what you had in mind this year, Fooducopia has a few tips to help infuse luxury and enjoyment into your romantic night in.
- Buon Appetito: Choose a theme for the evening—Italian wine, focaccia bread, marinated olives, pizza, and pasta never looked so good. French cuisine, with its rich sauces and full-bodied wines, is also an apt choice.
- Breakfast for Dinner: Sweet, savory, or both, a breakfast-inspired dinner might be just what you’re looking for. Try strawberry and cream cheese crepes, heart shaped pancakes, or a breakfast gratin.
- Don’t Skip the Appetizers: How often do we really have an appetizer before dinner at home? If you’re anything like me, rarely. Plan a tasty appetizer to share before the main course. Artisan cheese with crackers is a seamless addition to any meal. For a sweet and savory combination try Good Shepard’s French Pyrenees Cheese with a dollop of honey and fig preserves.
- Make a Date of it: During the hum drum of daily life cooking can become a chore. Reconnect this Valentine’s Day by choosing a new and perhaps uncharted recipe together. Sip wine and enjoy the process, together.
- Simplify: If the thought of making a four or five course meal sends your head spinning, consider ordering a salad or side dish from a restaurant and cook only the main course and dessert.
- Indulge: Chocolates and truffles are Valentine’s Day mainstay, but other fruit flavored desserts can be equally satisfying and festive. Try Canelita Bakery’s Raspberry Papitas De Leche, a creamy Venezuelan treat, or enjoy dipping your own strawberries with Cabernet’s Fudge Sauce.
- Decorate: Pick up a few bouquets for table décor but also use a few buds to garnish the food, buy a festive tablecloth, light candles and turn down the lights, play music, and wear an apron!