Fourth of July Appetizer Recipe: Easy Bruschetta with Pesto Sauce
By Nicole Hopping July 2, 2013 No Comments
Summer is the season for fiery red, delicately sweet tomatoes. Celebrate the end of pale, grainy tomatoes by pairing the fireworks of July 4th with the vibrant red of homemade bruschetta. This recipe is easy to make and can be prepared ahead, making it the perfect party appetizer. For an added twist, try Bianca’s Gourmet Pesto Piccante in lieu of traditional pesto sauce.
Yield: 15 slices
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
1 large tomato
5 cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 large garlic clove
¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 large French baguette, sliced 1-inch thick (about 15 slices)
½ cup pesto sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth, but somewhat chunky. Add salt and pepper.
- Remove from food processor and place in a bowl in the refrigerator. Let chill.
- Line baguette slices on a baking sheet. Toast in oven for about 5 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool slightly and spread 1 teaspoon of pesto sauce on each slice. Top with 1 tablespoon of bruschetta mixture and drizzle with remaining olive oil. Serve immediately.
Photo Credit: Flickr cc: purdman1