Easy Granola Bars with Cinnamon Chai Spice
Old fashioned rolled oats combine with crunchy walnuts and chai tea spices in these chewy granola bars.The aromatic hues of our 500 Mile Chai Tea provide a rich and malty base for these light and healthy granola bars—and making ‘em has never been easier. Buy chopped walnuts and prepared applesauce to make preparation even quicker. Then sit back and enjoy your protein packed, wholesome treat!
Yield: 12 square bars
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
2 cups rolled oats
1 ½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 large eggs*
3 tablespoons coconut oil
¾ cup raw honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
2 ½ tablespoons unsweetened chai tea**
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8 by 12 inch baking dish and line it with parchment paper.
- Toss the oats and walnuts in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the chai spices in a small bowl, then stir into the oatmeal mixture and set aside.
- Place the applesauce, eggs, coconut oil, honey, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, continuously stirring, for one minute, then combine with the oatmeal mixture.
- Pour contents into the prepared pan and lightly press the mixture into the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool before cutting.
*To make this recipe vegan, replace the eggs with 5 tablespoons ground flaxseed and 6 tablespoons water. Combine the flax and water in a separate bowl, stir vigorously, then add to the saucepan mixture. Learn more about unique cooking substitutions here.
**If you don’t have chai tea mix handy, create your own with this recipe:
4 teaspoons black tea
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon (be sure to omit the cinnamon in the original recipe)