Healthy Salad Recipes: Thanksgiving Salad with Roasted Pumpkin and Pear
By Melissa Schneider November 22, 2013 No Comments
If you’re looking for a tasty Thanksgiving salad that will disappear from the bowl in about ten minutes, this is the one. Better yet, much of this healthy salad recipe can be made ahead of time. Shake up your shallot-soy dressing early next week, and roast your pumpkins and pears on Wednesday. Then toss up this salad in a snap on Thanksgiving!
Thanksgiving Salad with Roasted Pumpkin, Pear, and Pine Nuts
If you don’t feel like peeling and dicing your own pumpkin, you can easily substitute butternut squash, acorn squash, or even sweet potatoes. If you don’t have pine nuts, try walnuts.
- 2 minced shallots
- 2.5 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- Freshly grated pepper to taste
- ½ tbsp. roasted sesame seeds
- 3 cups pumpkin, peeled and diced into 1.5-in cubes
- 2 cups organic pear, cored and diced into 1.5-in cubes
- ¾ cup pine nuts
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- Optional: craisins
1. Mix all dressing ingredients in sealed jar/dressing shaker and shake to combine. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight to let flavors combine.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 F. Toss pumpkin and pear cubes in a big salad-serving bowl w/ 1 tbsp olive oil and freshly ground salt and pepper to taste. Spread in a single layer over a large rimmed baking sheet (or two) and bake for 15 minutes.
3. After 15 minutes, remove baking sheet and use a heat-proof spoon or spatula to move the pumpkin and pear aside to create a space in the center of the pan. Pour in the pine nuts and spread them out into a single layer. Return pan to the oven and roast 8-10 minutes more, until pine nuts are toasted and pumpkin/pear cubes are browned and cooked through.
4. If serving that day, wash and chop lettuce into ribbons, place in same large bowl used for tossing pumpkin and pear. When ready to serve, add roasted items and 1/2 cup dressing and toss your salad, adding 1/3 cup of dried cranberries to the mix if preferred.
5. Serve and Enjoy!
Post to Pantry: Denver residents, make this salad in a snap with online grocery delivery from Denver’s Corner Store! Add local, organic pears and crunchy organic romaine hearts to your next order. Follow this link to browse and shop online, or email our catering department to place an order for the big day. Our products are meticulously sourced, and are as local and organic as we can make them.
Image courtesy of savoringeverybite.com